Saturday, April 16, 2011

Employee of the Year

I have an income again! Hallelujah!  The thing about not having a job is that it is fun.  There are no mean managers, or stupid customers or long nights.  The world is your oyster when there is no place of business that forces you to serve dumb people...when you have no job you are the dumb people! And I love being the dumb people.  My fun has ended when I realized that I can not be the dumb people seeing as my dumb bank account didn't have any dumb money.  So low and behold, I pounded the pavement and got myself a little ol' cocktail job at an Irish bar in town.

The deal with this place is that it is in a building that is well over 100 years old.  It. Is. Awesome.  So, being that it is in an old building there of course are believers (6/8 people I've talked to) of ghosts in the basement a.k.a. the dungeon.  Being a very hardcore follower of Ghost Hunters myself, I am not scared of this.  I figure if there are ghosts hanging out at an Irish bar, they are probably pretty dang cool and just want a solid pint.  This is not the sentiment of my fellow co-workers.

The girl that trained me on Wednesday refuses to go down stairs by herself.  So as we were training we went down so she could show me everything she kept repeating, "cupcakes. butterflies. rainbows. candy. sunshine. This is where we keep the to go packets. cupcakes. butterflies.  rainbows.  candy.  sunshine.  This is the walk in freezer. cupcakes. butterflies. rain-WHERE ARE YOU GOING?"  Soooo she was a little on edge.  As I was grabbing take out ketchup to refill for upstairs, the box cut my finger and instead of just saying "Ouch, the box cut me" I, with my twisted personality said, "Ouch. I think a ghost just bit me" as I showed her my bloody finger. This did not go over as funny as I thought because she was out of there faster than a bat outta hell.  This is reason #1 why I am not winning employee of the month this month.

Reason #2 why I am not going to be employee of the month.  On my 3rd day of training I ended up being 15 minutes late.  This is not entirely my fault.  Seeing as I am brand new and not on the online schedule yet, my manager had left my schedule on my voice mail.   You know when you listen to messages some times and there are a few random words that sound like they are said underwater, then they just go back to normal?  (I just got a visual of Ariel from the Little Mermaid leaving me a voice mail, ducking underwater, and coming back up again cause she forgot she could walk now.  Then me calling her back and getting mad, cause she does that alllll the time.)  Well, that is what happened but ONLY on the Friday shift in time.  I thought that he said 8pm, and I was so sure of it that I would have bet a dried beef sandwich on it.  So being the great employee I am, I decide to text him around 10:40am and say "Hey, it was hard to understand what my in time today was.  When is it again?"  Thinking it is for sure 8pm but if not it might be 6pm or 4pm. He writes back with, "11am in the expo"  Sonofacrap.  Turns out it was no big deal at all.  No write up.  I didn't miss anything.  Not working at corporate is great so far!  Whew!

Soooo...I have one more day of training.  We shall see if I serve a 14 year old a beer, or maybe I trip an old lady.  Ahhhh the possibilities!

If you are ever in Boulder and want to see ghosts and have a Guinness come and check out Conor O'Neill's near downtown. 


With all the luck o' the Irish,
Morgan

2 comments:

  1. I know 3 people who live in Boulder but you're all from different parts of my life so you don't know each other. But it's weird to me that you could serve one of them a pint and not know that you have someone in common!

    Also one of them is trying to sublet their apartment this summer if you know anyone who needs a place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you say that! I DO know someone who needs to sublet. I will e-mail you tomorrow with the info.

    ReplyDelete