Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You're a Cool Cat

 Maybe it was the horrible commercial I posted about a few weeks ago, or the fact that I am obsessed with animals.  I need a living thing!  This isn't the first time something like this has happened.  The first time I felt this way I got her:


 Her name is Lucy.  I got her in the Fall of 2003 right when I moved to San Diego from a girl that I was looking to move in with.  She was a good girl.  She jumped off the patio of an old apartment from the 3rd floor.  Someone found her and I got her back the next day.  Eventually, she got out when I lived in a big house in East San Diego and never came home. Sad day.  Then....about a month after she left this dude happened:


This is Henry on the day I got him.  He still has that dumb face, but he is a very good boy.  I had him for 2 years, and in December of 2006 (?), my parents dog died from what we think was a result of the dog food poisoning thing.  That next January I went up to Mammoth with some friends and dropped him off at his grandma and grandpa's house to be babysat.  Since their house was so quiet from not having a pup around, and I was busy I thought it was best for him to stay there.  Plus, now if I ever wanted him back it would not go over well.  Henry and his grandpa are best friends.  Here is some visual evidence of how they watch tv every single day.



Then I took a nice long break of any animals of my own, but I was the cool babysitter for many over the years!  Chico, Chica, Koa, Fresno, London.  Not to mention the time I talked to one of my tables at Yardhouse who were trying to find a new home for their cat, so I pawned that one off to Alex. :)  Oh man...and then the goldfish from the fair.  I had Billy and Farrah for a year.  They both passed from natural causes just before I moved to Boulder last summer.

Soooooo, with all of that said I think it is quite amazing that I've lasted over 9 months with no animals! Excuse me while I pat myself on the back....

Ok, done.

Let me also fill you in on how much of an animal freak I am.  Aside from DVRing Puppy Bowl during the Super Bowl (which I think is more common than most people would like to admit!), naming dogs I see walking down the street as we drive by, watching the Westminster Kennel Club dog show, I also take pictures on my phone of random dogs I see out and about.
Evidence:

This is Carmen. It's actually some longer name after some Mountain chain, but Carmen is close.


 This is Pooshoes.  Actual name.



This little dude who looks miserable is in Nordstrom! I named him Huckleberry.



This is Mira. She lives at a Vineyard in Temecula. Yes...I am on the floor of a tasting room. No, I am not drunk.

Enough of that freak show.  I'm sure I have more, but you get the creepy point.  Let me just say that deciding to "just look" at the local ASPCA website is never a good idea.  I am smart enough to know that I don't have the time or space for a dog.  I HATE birds more than anything.  I didn't want another fish tank to clean. Bunnies are not cuddly.  I don't know how to ride a horse.  Snakes are yucky.  Low and behold, a cat is my best option. Then to narrow it down more I knew that I didn't want long hair or a kitten because I didn't want to have to potty train and deal with baby shots and training.  Then this guy popped up.



Hiiiiii buddy!  

I wait it out a few days, then Alex and I go check out the Humane Society.  They had a few hundred cats, and I was keeping an open mind.  Then walking to one of the last rooms this guy was standing at the glass staring out :::gaaaaasp!::: "That's Fat Cat!" (Horrible name, right?)  It was.  Then I wait 2 more days to think and to clean and cat ready the apartment.  I went back, played with him and brought him home!  His name changed to Oliver.  He has his shots, is 2 years old, microchipped, potty trained and is all around a good boy.

 He hates the flash, but will hold his pose.


 Again, with the flash.


It reminds me of Earl from My Name is Earl who never had his eyes open for pictures.



Dreaming of Superman.

So there is the new member of my family.  Sorry for the massive amounts of pictures, but who has dial up now-a-days anyway?


1 comment:

  1. Hey I took that picture in Temecula! :) I miss you. Your blog is fun, I feel like i'm staying in touch.

    ReplyDelete