Saturday, August 20, 2011

Laundry Anxiety

Let's just paint a picture of my apartment complex real fast.  It is a U-shaped three story building.  I live on the 3rd floor.  There are about 36 units, with community laundry in the basement.  Three washers and three dryers.  I decided to do some laundry before work tonight, and head out with 2 solid loads.  Totally normal.  Most people will leave one free for someone that needs to wash something. 

As I hit staircase #2 with my laundry basket full of clothes, I hear a door on the top floor open and close and a girl yell back that she is going to "throw in all my laundry real fast."  As explained earlier, there is almost always 1 free.  I was hoping for her sake that all 3 were open, and she would get to use one.  She doesn't see me, but I know she is headed down.  I haul my butt down the stairs with a quickness (I need a clean apron real bad.  Mine looks like I've been working in a Southern Kitchen for the better half of my life with no apparent water source near.  I've spot "cleaned" it too many times to push it any longer.) because one just neeeveeerr knowwws the laundry situation. These are the possible scenearios that could have taken place.

#1 All the washers are free and clear. I get there before she does, she gets one.  This is the best case.

#2 Two washers are taken, one is clear. I take it before she even gets downstairs.  This works to my sort of advantage except in the chance that she walks in and sees me there and that all the washers are taken and gives me the look of death for using all of them.  WHICH I DIDN'T! (but I would have.  I just don't like given the laser eyes if I didn't do something.)

#3 Just one is being used, and I let her have one.  This is a very unlikely scenario.  She can wash her sorority shirts later. 

 #4 Just one is being used, and I take both.  Yeah, I would do that.  I've got things to do, people!  When she walks in, I avoid eye contact, pretend to be really mad about a gang fight gone bad on my phone.  That should keep her away for awhile.  Ya, I know.  Karma will say hi to me later, I will deal with it then.

#5 All 3 are being used before I get there, and we are both screwed. 

As I head down the staircase, I think "Should I throw pine cones at her to distract her?  Should I yell up to her 'Sorry! Seeaaats taaaken!'  Should I ..."

Crash! I fall.

Luckily I only tripped down a few stairs and mainly landed on my dirty clothes and have an awkward twisty motion with the staircase railing.  She notices me, yells and asks if I'm okay.  To which I respond, "Ya, I just tried carrying too much laundry."  She gets the hint, and heads back inside. 

Score 1 for being clumsy.

Oh, and in case you were super curious as to what the actual sitch was in the laundry room. It would have been scenario #2.  I didn't want to go all Rachel Greene up on her, but I would have if need be.


Still lacking a camera! Though, I'm not entirely sure what pictures I could have posted anyway, less I decided to take a picture of the laundry room...but that would have been just WAY too exciting a post.  Maybe another day.







1 comment: